Sep 7, 2011

The Devil is Trying to Kill You

Harsh words?  Probably.  True words?  Yes. 

This past week at church, our preacher said something that might have scared some people.  "Michael, the devil is trying to kill YOU."  It wasn't a rehtorical question, it was specifically spoken at me.  I wouldn't say it scared me, but it definitely got me thinking. 

It is pretty common knowledge that the devil uses all kinds of tactics to tempt us.  Temptations come in a Jack Daniel's bottle, mansions, and tight jeans.  It's no secret that he'll use anything to push us farther away from God. 

But kill me?  Yes!  The devil just doesn't want us to sin, he wants to destroy our lives.  A simple sin, might not lead us away from God.  Completely wiping out everything in our lives?  Now, a situation like that, might alter our faith.

The devil doesn't want to cause problems in your family.  He wants to destroy it.  The devil doesn't want you to use cocain.  He wants you to kill an innocent person, in an attempted robbery, to pay for it. The devil doesn't want you to desert your child.  He wants you to molest your child. 

I hope you understand that the devil is not just some "enemy" that many Christians claim.  He is the devil (eat your heart out CNN). He is a murderer, liar, and thief.  He doesn't want to discourage you, he wants to ruin the rest of your life. 

I sat in church last Sunday thinking, "The devil wants to kill me?  That must mean I'm capable of achieving things only fathomable by God."  It's the same way for everyone else.  Every single person has some talent that NO OTHER PERSON in the world has.  If we let the devil destroy our lives we most likely will never reach those Heights! 

There's great news though.  We know who wins!  The devil must feel like I do when I record Survivor.  It happens to me all the time.  I clearly remember to dvr the week's episode, then proceed to walk back into the house at 8:57, at the same time Jeff Probst reads the final vote.  Let me emphasize, that I love Survivor!  It kills me when the episode gets spoiled. 

The devil knows the Spoiler of his life!  He never defeats God.  Not in the past, not in the future.  Therefore, the devil can't kill us unless we let him.  We are on the winning team every single time!